Posted on April 29, 2012 · Posted in Brain Injury

An Australia court has ordered the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain to pay $8.3 million to the family of a girl who suffered severe brain damage after eating a chicken wrap.

Monika Samaan was a 7-year-old in October 2005 when she got salmonella poisoning, salmonella encephalopathy, after having a chicken meal at a KFC near Sydney, according to International Business Times. Samaan’s parents and brother also came down with salmonella poisoning.

Monika was in a coma for six months, and suffered severe brain damage. She was also paralyzed and is now confined to a wheelchair, according to The Times.

The Samaan family sued the KFC fast-food chain, and last Friday the New South Wales Supreme Court found in favor of the family. The court ordered KFC to pay $8.3 million for damages and legal costs.

KFC denies any liability in Monika’s illness and said that it plans to appeal the award.

About the Author

Attorney Gordon S. Johnson, Jr.
Past Chair Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, American Association of Justice :: 800-992-9447