Posted on February 1, 2013 · Posted in Brain Injury

Every day we hear stories involving carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odorless gas.  An acquaintance was recently exposed to carbon monoxide due to cracked chambers on her furnace.  Both her and her wonderful dog, Java,  are experiencing symptoms after possible long term exposure.  The symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning are not always obvious.  Pets are many times the first to be experiencing symptoms.

Click Here to read Sage and Java’s Story

Symptoms of CO Poisoning: Exposure to carbon monoxide can result in a variety of symptoms from headaches, weakness, lethargy, nausea, confusion, disorientation and seizure to fatality. The symptoms are often mistaken for flu or food poisoning. Persons with existing heart conditions may experience increased chest pain.

Please have all appliances checked and be sure to have working carbon monoxide detectors installed properly.  Proper placement of a carbon monoxide (CO) detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection against carbon monoxide poisoning. Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers’ recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one’s specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing.

For more information see our website



About the Author

Attorney Gordon S. Johnson, Jr.
Past Chair Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, American Association of Justice :: 800-992-9447